Friday, March 7, 2014

Stuffed Peppers

In the last post I mentioned I was having stuffed peppers for dinner. I thought I'd share the recipe.

My mom bought me this paperback cookbook a long time ago. She said the recipes were most like her mom's. You can tell my book is well used!



Set out 2 qt. baking dish. Rinse and cut a thin slice from each stem end of four green peppers.
Remove white fiber and seeds. Rinse cavities. Drop into boiling water to cover and simmer 5 mins. Remove peppers from water; invert and set aside to drain.

Meanwhile,
cook 2/3 cup rice.

Heat in skillet 1/4 cup olive oil
Add to skillet and cook until browned, breaking into small pieces with fork or spoon
1 lb. of ground beef

Stir in
2 tbs. minced onion
1 tbs. minced parsley
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Mix with cooked rice. Lightly fill peppers with rice- meat mixture, heaping slightly. Place into baking dish.
 Pour around peppers 1 1/2 cups of tomato sauce seasoned to taste.
Place on top of each pepper strips of mozzarella cheese. Bake at 350 degrees about 15 mins.

I did a few things different........
I used red peppers because they were on sale.
You should buy peppers that can sit on their bottom, by themselves. Mine are long and so I laid them on their side.
I chopped and  added a whole onion instead of minced onion. I added oregano, basil, red pepper flakes and garlic to taste. My sauce was leftover spaghetti sauce, I put around the peppers. You can serve alone or with pasta and of course Italian bread!

 
A before picture.......

An after picture............

A beautiful cover......

 
Hope you make these delicious peppers. Be creative when cooking! Add spices to make it your own.
Let me know how yours turned out!

I am joining Foodie Friday @ Rattlebridge Farms
http://designsbygollum.blogspot.com/#foodieFriday
Blessings My Friend,







2 comments: