Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Home Alone......

Someone out there has to be like me......
Yes, I know its late...6:00pm to be exact and here I am......


My husband went off on a job interview in Ohio and here I sit wondering what to eat for dinner! Cereal, PB & J, crackers & cheese, a hard boiled egg?????? No way!!!


This time I am making something good to eat and sit down like a human and eat it....Usually I eat standing over the sink. Anyone out there like me???????


What is it that the family does something and MOM just makes due?? What's up with that! Don't I deserve to eat a nice meal??? At least part of one I figure......I feed my dogs chicken every night yet not myself!
Tonight I am going to be selfish! Yes!




Anyway I made myself a bean salad...Not a BIG accomplishment BUT one, none the less. I DID IT!
I even made myself a pretty PINK tray! YUP!! Imagine that! MOM!!! making herself a pretty tray......


Thought I'd share the tray and recipe with all the LADIES out there like me.




The rose pattern is "Desert Rose" by Haviland
The blue is hand painted made in Japan
The cup & saucer have no name on them.




The dishes were all bought at Goodwill in Buffalo, NY.
The napkin is a handkerchief I have saved.



The swan is from Avon, a Goodwill Houston purchase.


A simple tray but fun to pretend I am a princess!

The Original Recipe........

4- Bean Relish

1/3 cup red wine vinegar
4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
salt & pepper to taste
1/4 cup scallions, sliced
3/4 cup red onions, diced
1/4 cup red peppers, diced
3 tablespoons honey
1-12oz.can white beans, drained
1-12oz. can chick peas, drained
1-12 oz. can pinto beans, drained
1-12oz. can black beans, drained
Mix all ingredients together and let sit in the refrigerator for at least one hour for the flavors to blend. Mix throughly before serving.

What I do.................................................

I use 15 Bean Soup...."Hurst's Ham Beans"(Walmart). I throw out the soup packet...soak the beans overnight and cook them the next morning until soft. Then follow the directions above. I also add black olives and I cut them into rings.
I sometimes serve this as a dip and use "scoops"!
Everyone loves this salad.



You can add or subtract according to your tastes. I happen to love this salad and serve it a lot of different ways. I love it over field greens for lunch and as a side for dinner.
Let me know if you make it and how your family liked it!

Thank you for stopping by......
Thank you to Susan for hosting BNOTP!



Blessings My Friends,

10 comments:

  1. You deserve a pretty tray when home alone! Beautiful dishes...love the color of the teacup/saucer.
    Oh...love your back yard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love those dishes!!! Each and every one. The tea cup and saucer looks very luminescent! And yes, you do deserve to make yourself a special tray. We all do, but just like you, we rarely do. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks wonderful and the recipe sounds great!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad that you took the time to treat yourself with love. It is so important that we remember to do that. We are normally so caught up in taking care of others that we neglect ourselves.

    But, you deserve the same respect that you afford others! And there is nothing selfish about that!

    Hope all went well with your husband's job interview!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, it's important to treat ourselves well! Cute tray and your salad sounds great! Never would have thought to try the 15 beans, sounds good-enjoy:@)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful tray. The salad, too, sounds wonderful. I'm new to your blog and have been exploring. I really like the food and recipes you feature here. You've created a lovely spot for your readers to visit and I really enjoyed the time I spent here. I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely! So glad you treated yourself while your hubby is gone. I must confess I had frozen pizza last night (mine's out of town, too!). But, didn't y'all just move to Texas?? Since you mentioned his interview, I wondered if another move was in your plans!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The table looks lovely! You deserve it.
    Do you mean you may be moving again> You just got the boxes unpacked!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi lovely lady. your Tablescape is just Beautiful !!! I love your dishes sweet lady.
    I hope you have a GREAT WEEKEND.
    I miss your sweet comments I hope you can come see me.
    xxoo
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi lovely lady. Thanks so much for your lovely comments about my Mothers Day Tablescapes !!! Also becoming my follower so sweet of you. I do follow you also. I hope you have a Great Week with your lovely family. Im putting a new tablescape on today.
    xxoo
    Diane

    ReplyDelete